Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Turning 26. Getting older

I'm getting older. It is a scary thought, but I guess it's something we all have to do. Unfortunately every year we look at ourself and compare with others. Using the rules society has taught us we look at how far we have come, how far we should have come, what we have achieved and what we should have achieved.Growing up we make plans for ourself, plans for our career, love life and economy. We make these plans thinking that we can control life, we make these plans forgetting that they can potentially makes us very unhappy. Life cannot be controlled, we can work hard for our goals, but ultimately we have little say in the matter. I was 25 when I finally found love after many years of getting my heart broken. I doubt that was what little Mari with the uncontrollable curls planned when growing up. However, I would not have it any other way, the time I've spent alone has made me more independent and the scars I've been given have made me stronger than I ever thought I could be. The challenges I've met have all taught me something and helped me understand who I am and what truly makes me happy. I think in the race to achieve we forget to be happy.

Every birthday I think we should wake up and ask ourself: "Am I happy? Am I surrounded by good energy and people who make me feel good about myself? Am I following my dreams or have I compromised myself? Have I challenged myself and taken risks lately?"

My 26 years on this planet have been full of detours and one thing leading to something else. Never has my life had a linear shape. At the age of 26 I don't know what I want to do with my life, and honestly I'd rather not know. If I was all set and settled down in my mid twenties like I probably planned when I was younger, I think I would be very unhappy. We all choose different ways to live our life and comparing with others can only lead to misery.

And also, birthdays, like Christmas, are days when it is a little bit harder than usual to be on the other side of the planet. It's on those special days, when you want to feel extra special, that you miss the family and friends who have known you forever. Luckily I have Sean who makes me feel special every day.

No comments: