Monday, October 24, 2011

Why I would love to work for the library

I am a journalist and a writer, why would I want to work for the library? Why do I want this job so badly. Am I not taking a step in the wrong direction in my career? Am I not wasting my time? You may wonder about these things. I don't. I have thought this through.

The news industry in Australia is experiencing financial cuts. Cuts after cuts. Journalists' work environments are getting more and more stressful. There is no time to worry about the quality of the information that is provided or reflect on the role of the journalist.

I am passionate about being a journalist because I strongly believe good journalism matter. It matters because it enlightens people, it matters because it helps people understand their own life better and it matters because it creates an awareness that there is something bigger out there. Good journalism reminds us that we are not living on this planet alone. Great journalism makes us want to change the world.

Very often I ask myself whether there is much good journalism provided around Australia.

Luckily, often I am reminded that there is still good journalism out there. There are still journalists passionate about their job. The problem is not the journalists. The journalists are doing their best under the circumstances provided. The problem is money. The problem is news organisations cutting where it hurts the most. They are cutting on quality. They are firing sub-editors, the last line of defence and they are cutting in editorial staff, which means more work for each person. In the end, quality will suffer and the financial situation will worsen. People will not buy a product of lousy quality. The boat is sinking and everything has been thrown overboard to keep floating a little bit longer. With nothing to mend the boat, it will eventually sink.

It all comes down to money and how it is spent. Quality has its cost, and quality information is worth its. Geelong has realised that. They put emphasis on expanding the library service. Since 2008 they have put several million dollars into renovating and building libraries and improving the services. Like me, they believe in the importance of providing quality information services. They believe it promotes personal growth. We agree, the library and I.

I want to work for the libraries in Geelong because I want to be part of the exciting development. I want to be part of an organisation that believes in quality. I want to help people find the information they need, I want to help them grow, I want to do what I initially became a journalist for. I want to be able to provide quality information in all forms.

Working for the library will place me in a positive environment. The energy I get from having a job that I am passionate about I will use to continue own projects as a journalist and writer. I will continue with Stories of Geelong and maybe write a novel.

No comments: